The final institute in Shanghai. Ramblings and note takings
Opening with convince us that 1/10 of 450 is 45.
- “Who did it differently?”
- chop of the zero
- move the decimal to the left
- multiply by a tenth
- divide by 10
- Record – why?
“This is unquestionably the hardest piece of mathematics to teach and the second most important to learn (after operations).”
Rates / ratios – do they “live” on the number line?
- 6/10 + 6 /10 = 12/10, but…
- In the first half, someone made 6 out of 10 free throws. In the second half, an additional 6 shots out of 10 were made. 12 out of 20 were made
- Examine the relationship between the values (double number line versus single)
Bridge to HS -shift from additive thinking to multiplicative thinking
Model – what happens between the problem and the solution
Convince us in two different ways. How do the two different ways talk to each other?
A blurry miserable image but…writing ratios as fractions. Should a part:part ratio be written as a fraction as it does not represent a part to whole?
- Who is struggling? Let us know what you are thinking.